The Confucius Institute in Chicago (CIC) was opened in May 2006 and is a partnership between the City of Chicago (Chicago Public Schools/CPS), The Office of Chinese Language Council International (the “Hanban”) and Shanghai’s East China Normal University (ECNU). It is the only Confucius Institute in the US which is housed in a K-12 environment and which primarily focuses on K-12 Chinese language and cultural education programming. CIC has been awarded the title of “Confucius Institute of the Year” for four consecutive years since 2007.
The Confucius Institute in Chicago is housed at Walter Payton College Preparatory High School, a Chicago public high school. CIC is an educational resource for educators, parents and students throughout the greater Chicagoland on the teaching of the Chinese language and culture. In addition to being a full professional development and workshop center, CIC is a resource library with more than 10,000 print and multimedia materials for educators and students from all academic levels. The Confucius Institute in Chicago is open to the general public.
The Confucius Institute in Chicago provides the following services and courses:
- Coordination of the Chicago Public Schools Chinese World Language Program, which is housed at 43 schools in Chicago, with an estimated 12,000 students
- Professional development programs and workshops for K-16 Chinese World Language teachers from the greater Chicagoland and other states.
- Beginning, intermediate and advanced Chinese language courses for adults
- Chinese culture and history courses and workshops for adults
- Resource center for the teaching of Chinese language and culture – open to the general public, free to use
- Coordination of study programs for teachers and students in China
- Computer lab for technology based workshops and AP Chinese training
- Support and advocacy for schools districts which are interested in teaching Chinese World Language
- Hosting of educational delegations from the USA and abroad
- Hosting visiting visual and performing artists from China to present and offer workshops in Chicago Public Schools and area private schools
- Pre-travel cultural orientation seminars for the business, diplomatic and educational communities
For more information about the Confucius Institute in Chicago contact:
Jane Lu, Director
Telephone: (773) 534-0021
Website redesign: Ernest M. Whiteman III